Sunday 12 November 2017

TESL 0110

Image result for grammar


Grammar is so important in a language that without it we cannot even make an sentence. I thought I was decent in grammar but turns out I still have a lot to learn about it.
My aha moment was from the does grammar matter video. The concept of prescriptivism and descriptivism caught my attention, because I didn't know about these concepts before. So, prescriptivism is where they think the language should follow the same way it has been used since the olden times whereas descriptivism is opposite in which they like to add new things and adaptations to a language. Language is something that is constantly changing all around the world, I think the descriptivism is better than prescriptivism because it allows you to customize it. I personally think that descriptivism is a non-judgemental approach to language which is more focused on how its spoken and written by others. Here is a link, which has some more information about prescriptivism and descriptivism.
https://stancarey.wordpress.com/2010/02/16/descriptivism-vs-prescriptivism-war-is-over-if-you-want-it/

No comments:

Post a Comment